Join Cardon Children’s and the City of Mesa for a Healthy Summer
May 12, 2011 · Published By Editor
MESA, Ariz. –In a culture where super-sized fast food meals, convenience store nutrition and reduced physical education time are the norm, kids need positive reinforcement from parents, physicians, schools and others in their community for active lifestyles and eating right. For a second year, Cardon Children’s Medical Center is offering a free summer program called The Fit Kid Challenge to guide families in making some healthy changes in nutrition and exercise.
Fun challenges, prizes and events are just part of the learning, and everyone in the family is encouraged to participate. One family will win a SeaWorld San Diego Getaway just for registering. Other prizes given away weekly will include a healthy lunch with Mesa Mayor Smith, activities like ice skating, rock climbing gyms and trampoline fun.
The program is intended for school-aged kids between 5-13 of all shapes, sizes, and activity levels. Nearly all kids could benefit from trying new foods, exploring physical fitness and overall healthy habits coaching.
Information on challenges and events will arrive via e-mail, Facebook or text messaging after registration. Kids are encouraged to talk to their parents before registering.
- E-mail: Visit http://www.bannerhealth.com/cardonchildrensfitkid%3chttp:/www.bannerhealth.com/cardonchildrensfitkid>. Submit your e-mail address to receive Challenge updates via e-mail.
- Facebook: Visit www.facebook.com/cardonchildrens and “Like” the page to receive Challenge updates on Facebook.
- Text message: Send a message that says FitKids to 411987 on your mobile phone to receive Challenge updates via text.
Several organizations have joined Cardon Children’s as part of the Challenge, including:
- 98.7 The Peak and News-Talk 92.3 KTAR Radio personalities and Amy Van Dyken and Connie Weber will discuss tips, challenges, events and prizes during their shows in May and June.
- Banner Pediatric Specialists – Listen for healthy tips from a host of physician pediatric specialists on KTAR and The Peak. Physicians from Cardon Children’s Medical Center and Banner Thunderbird Medical Centers are participating.
- The City of Mesa — The City of Mesa’s Fit City is back and looks a lot different than it did before. Fit City is now an online resource for residents to find fun activities for the whole family to stay fit, eat right and grow into a more healthy community. The resources are out there and Fit City brings them all together. From Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative and Cardon Children’s Medical Center’s Fit Kid program to Ali Vincent, Season 5 Biggest Loser winner, as inspiration, Fit City has it all. Go to www.mesaaz.gov/fitcity for more information.
The Cardon Children’s Fit Kid Challenge runs from May through July, but new participants are welcome to sign up for the Challenge throughout. To learn more, go to www.BannerHealth.com/cardonchildrensfitkid.
The lifestyle habits our kids learn today will be the basis of their future health and well-being. Join the Challenge!
Published on behalf of Cardon Children’s Medical Center
Located in the fast-growing East Valley of metro Phoenix, Cardon Children’s Medical Center provides comprehensive pediatric care addressing a broad spectrum of children’s health needs. The Banner Health owned and operated facility expanded to 248 beds when patients and staff moved into a new state-of-the-art facility in 2009. For more information on Cardon Children’s Medical Center, visit www.BannerHealth.com/CardonChildrens.